04 October 2002

Sniper

Five people in Montgomery County were shot and killed randomly in the past two days. Someone just went for a drive and killed five people who had never wronged them. Someone just terminated five lives. Five families, five communities are permanently torn now.

I haven't felt such a loss of faith in humanity since it sunk in that America is set on revenge.

I used to cry every time I read the newspaper. Reports of deaths, even in accidents but mostly by the calculations of others, made me cry no matter what. Then, eventually, I hardened myself. I guess seeing it near my own hometown just made it hit me again, and it hit me hard after this many years of steeling myself to it.

What can I do to help anything? I feel so useless. Like all of our efforts are futile, because they can be wiped out by one bored psycho with a gun.

I know that's not the way to look at it. But it just exhausts me. I cried for hours today. Eventually I shut myself down to do work. And then I remembered and I felt so sick.

I just don't know what's happening.

-Jenn-