28 January 2006

Getting back into the swing of it

I've just finished the first week of my last semester as an undergraduate. It went much more smoothly this time. I'm not sure why it took so many semesters to finally get into the swing of things and recognize patterns and feel basically cavalier about the whole starting-new-classes thing. It's like how it took me until last spring to recognize that I always freak out in the second-to-last week of classes (which is also the week before my big concert), and it always turns out fine. Last spring I was able to say, "Okay, it's the week before my concert, and I'm freaking out. That means it will turn out fine."

For someone who claims she's intelligent based mainly on her ability to recognize patterns, I sure am bad at recognizing them in myself.

Outside of school, well... there hasn't been a lot. I've been tired a lot, going to bed early. I've been neglecting the friends I generally write to. I've been neglecting a lot of the friends I have to go out of my way to see. But it's the second semester of my thesis; it's not like they had no warning whatsoever. I'm not the sort of person who really misses having time to hang out with people when I'm working hard. It's not that I don't adore my friends, because I do. I'm pretty outgoing and all that, too, so I have a large friend base. I just enjoy having time to myself--I blame being an only child--and won't let my social life infringe on that.

My situation is pretty ideal right now. I have housemates I can hang out with--or not, if I'm feeling solitary. But I don't get that depressed feeling I sometimes do when there's no one around. I didn't get it in high school when I spent a lot of time alone, but then I moved into a dorm and I'm afraid I've been spoiled for living alone ever since. Living with four others (sorta five) is perfect. Especially when they're the amazing people I do live with. I am so lucky.

What am I going to do when I have to leave for grad school?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home